Saturday, July 20, 2013

Tale as Old as Time.....

"Handsome as my Daddy".....four little words, printed on a newborn tee - a gift, at today's Baby Shower. They were my undoing. For the shirt is intended for my as yet unborn great nephew - Charles. His Daddy? My much loved, much mourned late nephew - Chuck. I have no doubt that little Charles will be as handsome as his Daddy was - I am sure that he will also be as beautiful as his Peruvian Mother - Vanessa. I hope that he has her thick black hair and big brown eyes, I hope that he is healthy and robust, I hope that he comes gently into this hard world - but most of all, I hope that he bears the impish grin that was his Father's trademark.
   Today was a testament of love and hope....It was a coming together of good Christian women - doing what they do best.....caring for those in need of succor. The shower was hosted by friends of my Sister In Law ( I am sure that they are also my Brother's friends, but in a situation such as this - a hen party and all, we will refer to them as Her friends). The table was piled high with gifts - front and center was a portrait of Chuck and Van on their second wedding day - the one in Peru. (As usual, he was sporting that grin....). The fragrance of friendship permeated the room and enveloped those of us who were relative strangers - Food spilled over from every corner, and abundant laughter laid the soundtrack. Occasional tears were shed and gazes were covered over with fleeting sadness, but we were bound together by the glue that comes from that mystical well of the Sacred Feminine.....that special place inside women that holds instinct, compassion, empathy, nurture......and strength..... strength to open present after present for a baby that was so very wanted by the Daddy that he will never know on this side of the veil - a Daddy that only learned of the creation of that precious baby on the Heavenly side of the veil.
   I watched in awe and amazement, as I was reminded today, of the power of the Love of the Sisterhood - a tale as old as time.....Women, unconsciously calling on the special gifts of their spirits - weaving a healing, binding blanket of kindred love - the most ancient of spells - the tradition of caring for each other - a sharing of burden and sorrow....a tradition of digging deep and pulling forth a wellspring of hope for tomorrow, and gratitude for the blessings of the day. Today was a celebration of life anticipated - a remembrance of life lost.
Blessed be.......the tie that binds.

No comments:

Post a Comment