Thursday, October 25, 2012

"How YOU doin....?"

I wore jeans to work today! I can get by with it on days like this - I spent my day in storage rooms, pulling out supplies for the upcoming Fall Festival  - a very big to do. I gave the mirror a glance before I left the house this morning, and chuckled to myself, when I realized what I was wearing. It's my favorite cool weather, hang out, run errands outfit. My dark jeans, and a long button up peasant kind of blouse. The last time I wore this outfit, I had quite an experience! It was my day off, but I had to run by the Church. While I was there, a Church member came into the office and promptly asked me if I had lost weight - "Why yes, yes I have, thank you for noticing"......As I was leaving, another Church member was walking up to the entrance - Again, a complement....by this time, I'm feeling pretty good about myself, and walk to the car with a spring in my step. Next stop, WalMart. As I reached for the buggy, I put my cross body shoulder bag on (I can't wear a regular shoulder bag anymore, because of  neck muscle issues - a terrible thing for a hippie chick who adores the feel of a long pocketbook, tapping against her knee....),I checked on the whereabouts of my shopping list, and set off about my business. As I walked through produce, A Man approached from the other side, smiling so widely at me, I was certain I must know him. The closer he got, the more unfamiliar he became, and he passed me by with a wink, a smile and a "Hey, how are you?" "I MUST look good today", I thought to myself - basking in the glow of the obvious admiration of the masculine stranger. A few moments later, as I passed down the main aisle between grocery and clothing, a young man - ever so much younger than I, passed me with a dazzling grin, and a most enthusiastic "Good Morning!" By this point, I am practically prancing down the aisles - and as this happens not once, not twice, but three times more, all of this unsolicited male attention has me feeling positively magnetic - as if I had recaptured the allure of my younger self....As I skipped along towards the check out (having been in the store almost an hour), a big, dark burly man was coming right at me. He stopped, looked me up and down in the most lascivious way, and said - I kid you not - "How YOU doin?", Just like Joey from Friends. I allowed my eyes to follow his, and as I looked down, I was instantly horrified, mortified, and overcome with fits of laughter....as it turns out, when I slipped on my across the body shoulder bag, the strap had unbuttoned not one, not two, but the top five buttons of my blouse, leaving my beautiful new Oprah Bra (and all that it contained) in full view of inquiring minds, and eyes.....I hastily buttoned up, and rewarded The Joey Man with my most scathing mean Mommy look.I took refuge in the closest checkout line, and after paying, left the store post haste. Needless to say, before I left the house in the self same outfit this morning, I pinned each and every one of the previously offending buttons, and just to be safe, I changed pocketbooks!

No comments:

Post a Comment