Saturday, December 15, 2012

Laughing into the Wind....a Christmas Story.

It could have been worse....that Damned Christmas Shoe song could have come on the radio. Today has been one wild day....but I could have told you that it would be, before my feet touched the ground this morning...you see - it's December 15th, and for the last 34 years, this date has possessed it's own juju - this is the day my Mother went to Glory....in 1978..... At 10:22 p.m. (but who's counting - let's just say I ALWAYS try to be in bed by 10:00 p.m. on this date.) ...34 years.....and in all that time, I only remember one good 15th of December - it was in 1995, and although I am certain that this falls under the heading of TMI, it is the day that Baby Girl was conceived. I know this only because we were having a hard time getting pregnant (Not so with College Boy - we conceived the first week we were trying with him!) and we were keeping a chart. But back to this morning - If that Shoe song had come on the radio, I am certain I would have wrecked the car. I was driving with one hand on the wheel, and one hand holding Crackhouse Puppy's head - College Boy had the rest of him....we were rushing to the Emergency Vet, where my sweet Puppy remains in the Hospital tonight - Chocolate Poisoning -toxic levels... it was touch and go for awhile, but he seems to be holding his own, and at last report was resting (after pulling out his IV and Catheter - he is now wearing the Cone of Shame). After everything that has happened in the last couple of weeks - Chuck's death, yesterdays' massacre, Clancey's near death experience today - I am not really feeling the Christmas Spirit....I am sure I am not alone in this...so, to lift our spirits, I am going to relate one of my favorite Christmas stories - in honor of the 15th of December, in honor of my Mom. The Christmas I was  17, my Mother wanted to go shopping - she wanted to find me a Christmas present that I would really love. So we began the laborious process of getting ready. Mom was paralyzed from the waist down by this point, so getting her dressed was no mean feat. Once the clothes were on, I got her in the wheelchair, and rolled her to the vanity, where we put on the makeup, then the wig. Because it was winter, we then made a stop by the closet in the front hall....wheelchair locks in place, I lifted her to standing, and propped her against my hip with one arm, while I put her good coat on with the other... then I settled her back  into the wheelchair, out the door, down the ramp, Wheelchair locks on again, transfer Mama to the car, put the chair into the back of the car, and away we went - all in all, it took almost 2 hours. Even still, we were at the Mall when they opened the doors, and Mom was in high spirits. Into Belks we went, then Thalhimers, and at last - our favorite store - Tobias....where I found the most divine full length wool cape with hood. It was the most dramatic thing I had ever seen, and from the moment I tried it on, I wanted it with all my heart - but it was pricey, and needed to go back on the rack, but before I even got it back on the hanger, Mama looked at the saleslady and said "We'll take it!"...."Mom, NO!" I said. She pulled me down to her chair, so we were eye to eye and said "I want you to have this. You will be able to wear this long after I am gone, and you will remember this day - and me." And quick as a wink, she had signed the store charge slip, and we were out the door, my beautiful cape resting across her lap....but what happened next ensured that I would never, ever forget that day. I pushed Mom back down the mall towards the main entrance. As we opened the big double doors to go out, we noticed that the weather had changed. A bitter cold wind had whipped up, and the sky was dark and stormy. It was at that moment that everything switched to slow motion. We both noticed a couple walking towards us....folks we knew well....friends from Church. This might be a good time to remind you that even sick unto death, my Mother was more than slightly vain, and she was especially particular about her wig. Just as we were about to greet the friends, a huge gust of wind blew right past us.....and carried my Mothers highly coiffed, very expensive wig with it - turning it into a tumbleweed across the parking lot full of Christmas shoppers (most of whom we knew....it was a small town, after all). I gaped at her...I was frozen to the spot, certain that she was about to dissolve into the worlds largest  fit of histrionics...ever! There she sat - my beautiful, proud Mother - bald. as. a. cue. ball....in front of people she knew! She threw her head back and howled....with laughter! Big, hearty, body shaking laughter! Holding her sides, and gasping for air, she managed to get out a directive...."Don't just stand there Kelley - get that wig - it cost a fortune!" Before you could bat an eye, I threw the brakes on the wheelchair, and went chasing across the parking lot, after my Mama's store bought hair. Once I retrieved it (Trust me...it  really was  worse for the wear...), I turned back towards the mall entrance, to see my Mother holding court, her head bald, but held high... surrounded by people - all of whom were laughing and hugging each other, leaning over Mama's wheelchair, hugging her...shaking their heads, and wiping the mirth from their eyes. Uncertain as to what to do with the bedraggled wig, I halfheartedly held it out to my Mom. "Just put it in your purse," she said to me....."And give me your scarf....it's a bit airish out here". She took my scarf, and draped it about her head and shoulders - looking regal and exotic, as only she could,  waved good-bye to her admirers, and pointed towards the car....laughing all the way. My Mother taught me a valuable lesson that day...you may not have any control over what happens to you - but sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, you have control over how you respond.
That Cape was the last Christmas present my Mother would ever give me....and last night, as my family went outside to look for shooting stars during the meteor shower, that self same 35 year old cape was around my shoulders - keeping me warm, inside and out. I remember December 15th, the day she died - but more importantly, I also remember that December day, when my Mother showed me by example, how to live - choosing to keep on the Sunny Side...bald and beautiful and laughing into the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment