Monday, January 7, 2013

3-2-1....Blastoff!

My kids have discovered I Love Lucy. They are astonished to find that comedy was not invented in Y2K...that something from the "old days" could be so funny (They really should know this already...they live with me, and I am a riot, I'm sure - and, coincidentaly, I am also from the old days)....Tonight, just like many nights of my own childhood, we ate our supper around the TV (John was working late - he does NOT like eating in front of the TV unless it involves football....), laughing at the antics of Ricky, Lucy, Fred and Ethel. How wonderful - that laughter can bridge situations, limitations, generations. Tonight's episode was the one where Tennessee Ernie Ford comes to visit Cousin Lucy, and they spend the whole episode trying to get him to go back home, without hurting his feelings. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we as a society, in this day and age, showed so much concern for one anothers' feelings - made such a concerted effort to be kind...In other news on the home front, the Kennedy women have started our diet....ummm...I mean "lifestyle change". For the sake of my health (and my vanity.....there...I said it), I have really got to get with it! We began on Saturday, and preparatory to the big day, we had been pinning recipes to Pinterest like mad...Baby girl found one that to my way of thinking was ENTIRELY to good to be true....it's Chocolate Cake - 0 Weight Watchers points, and less than 30 calories....yeah - right. It's called 3-2-1 cake, and contains only 3 ingredients. Yesterday (Sunday), I was having the second day diet...ummm..."lifestyle change" joneses....I was doing OK going without Coke, because I was throwing back seltzer water (cherry flavored) like a dessert nomad at the well - but let's be frank - I NEEDED chocolate. My fingers flew over the keys, as I pulled up my Pinterest and found the Cake recipe - and before any of my family could blink, fat girl had put on her shoes, grabbed up her purse and was out the door. I believe that everybody else in my fair city has found the same recipe, because I had to go to 3 - count 'em - three grocery stores - to find one of the very common ingredients. Once back at home, in a lathering desperation, I made the cakes...and the heavens opened, and the angels sang, and all was once again right with my world! Now, I do not want this to turn into a recipe blog, but I would be a poor excuse for a friend if I did not share this (for those of you who have not yet pinned it to your Pinterest board, or worse yet - for those of you who have yet to become a slave to this InterWeb phenomenon). So grab your pens, and write this one down:
                                                                  3-2-1-CAKE!
1 box Angel Food Cake Mix (This is what all of the grocery stores were out of!)
1 box any other Cake Mix (I got Dark Chocolate Fudge)
                                             Mix these two together, until well incorporated - you shouldn't be able to tell that there were separate cake mixes. Then, when you are ready for a treat.................
Take 3 Tbl. of the mix and put it in a mug or glass ramekin (If you give the mug a light spray with PAM, it makes clean up easier) add 2 Tbl. water, stir, and microwave for 1 minute....get it? 3-2-1? Then, open the door, and be blessed by the miracle of CHOCOLATE CAKE....and I mean GOOD Chocolate Cake. It is the perfect serving size, and when paired with a cup of Decaf coffee makes a fabulous ending to your day! It is so easy, I am going to mix up a batch for College Boy to take with him, when he goes back to school on Saturday (Don't ask....I can't talk about it...it has been SO nice having him home.) - and he can have hot Chocolate Cake whenever he wants! I also have this terrific grinder that I got on a whim from Trader Joe's before Christmas. It looks like Pepper, but it contains Coarse sugar, dark chocolate and coffee beans, and has 0 calories for a 1/4 tsp. I didn't put nearly that much on each little cake - and it added a fun crunch. With the promise of this little treat each day, I think it will make it easier for me to stay on track - let's hope so anyway. I will keep you apprised of my success, or lack thereof, and I will pass along any new "lifestyle change" recipes that are too good to keep to myself......3-2-1....blastoff!

No comments:

Post a Comment