Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Bonfires and Symphony's....

...and so, out with the old and in with the new! It's been a lazy, grey New Years Day....John had to work, College Boy slept the day away, Baby girl had friends over, Babiest girl was retrieved from a friends house - and I decided not to wash my hair - because it smells like bonfire, and that smell makes me smile. You see, John and I actually went to a New Years Eve party last night - one that involved good music, grilled oysters, lots of new people to meet, and of course, the aforementioned bonfire. As always, meeting new people makes me nervous, but I had my kissy red leather gloves to give me courage - and I surprised myself by having a really good time. It reminded me of days long ago, when John and I were a couple, and time stretched before us in an unbroken road of whatever we wanted to do - a time before kids. Once College Boy came, we didn't get out much - and that trend has continued for almost 20 years....once, we went for over two years without going out alone - we were raising the kids with no help - no Grandparents to rely on for overnights, or drop in babysitting, and most times if we paid a babysitter, there was no money left to do anything else. Days - weeks, would go by in a blur back then. John was always working, and as a stay at home Mom, I had my hands full with 3 kids under 5. To keep my spirits up and to offer myself encouragement on a daily basis - I would cut out quotes or poems from magazines, and put them on the refrigerator door....some cute, some cheesy, some profound...but they served their purpose. They became my own silent, unfailing, ever present cheering section....because Lord knows, with all of those kids, I used the refrigerator nonstop - all day long! Five years ago, when we moved out of that dear little cottage and into our current home, John begged me not to put all of the "stuff" up on our new Stainless Steele Side by Side Fridgedare, and feeling magnanimous, I agreed. I couldn't bear to part with all of my magnets, pictures, postcards and clippings, so I put them in a Zip Lock bag, and shoved them in the back of the hall China Closet.....where I found them a couple of days ago, when, in the throes of a rare spurt of organizational energy, I cleaned out said closet. Finding that bag, was like a reunion of long lost best friends - I laughed and I cried as I examined each piece - remembering where I got each item, how much I had loved them - how they were all so intricately connected to the halcyon days of child rearing....the wonder years.....the last, largest piece to leave the bag was an art postcard with one of my favorite poems on it. It speaks to me as clearly as it did the day I got it - it's words masterfully laying out the life I would like to live...and so, on this first day of the year of our Lord - 2013, I give you these words, so beautifully crafted, in the hopes that you will find encouragement in them.....
                                                   
                                              My Symphony....by William Henry Channing
     To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury and refinement rather than fashion.
     To be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not rich.
     To study hard, think quietly, talk gently, act frankly.
     To listen to stars and birds and babes and sages with an open heart.
     To bear all cheerfully, do all bravely, await occasions, hurry never.
     In a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the commonplace.
     This is to be my symphony.

No comments:

Post a Comment