Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Bug Day Afternoon.....

So.....I spent the afternoon doing errands. I say this only by way of explaining why I was going a different way to pick the girls up from school...I came in the back way - through the neighborhood and past the Middle School, instead of going directly to the High School lot.  I had finished the errands a little early, and was happy that I would have a few moments to sit in the car with the windows down and read my book. I stopped at the last stop sign before the main road leading to the High School...a woman in a blue SUV was stopped on the main road, waiting to turn left, into the neighborhood. Cars were coming from the left, so I looked down to change the CD, and then I heard it....BOOM! I looked up to see the SUV turning down beside me, while in front of me, a Man lay in the road with a scooter on top of him. The SUV lady stopped (her window was also down), looked at me and said, "Good Lord, that Man done hit the back of my car!"  Scooter Man had run right into the back of the SUV...no brake marks - nothing...just ran right into the car. I threw my car in Park, and opened the door - SUV lady called 911, while Scooter Man starts hollering for help - his leg is pinned under the scooter. Cars were stopping all over the place...the first three were driven by Men....none of whom showed the LEAST inclination to get out and help. I started across the street, and by the time I reached the scooter, a man from the first stopped car joined me, and we pulled the scooter off of the injured guy. While Scooter Man was trying to stand, another man appeared - this one dirty and disheveled....he started moving in circles around us, speaking an incantation of gibberish and gesturing wildly with his hands.I can only hope he was calling down some sort of blessing, and not laying some kind of voodoo on us. As the Spirit Man walked away, Scooter Man resumes his very rapid Spanish - of which I understand very little....I did understand, however, that he must be returning from the cantina - I was surprised that his breath did not ignite on impact, so strong were the fumes that accompanied his frenzied speech. Just as the police arrive, we get Man and Scooter up onto the sidewalk. As I was giving my statement to an Officer, I kept an eye and an ear on the action over by the scooter....Not only did this poor fellow crash into a car, he seemed to have no license, no recollection of his birth date, and the officer taking his statement appeared to have a very good sense of smell. It didn't take a law enforcement official to figure out where this scenario was going, and as I drove off to get the girls, the old adage crossed my mind - "Some days you are the windshield.....and some days you are the bug.".....uh....yep.

No comments:

Post a Comment