Sunday, September 9, 2012

Sing Your Song....

As a Children's Minister, Sundays are my busiest day of the week. I am up at 6:00. I start the morning with band practice at 8:00, 2 services with Sunday School and Choir practice in between.Then, I hop in the car and drive one town over - marveling that I have made it to the theatre on time, because you know that I have carefully observed the speed limit, and all traffic signals and signs! Once the matinee is over, I head back home, just in time to fix dinner....all this is to say, that I woke up pretty certain I would have no time for intentional happiness today. Oddly enough, the happiness came to me - I did not have to seek it out. Our first service has a band with which I am proud to sing....not really a contemporary band...if I had to give us a label, I would call us an Americana, folksy, independent, old time, modern band. We are 2 guitars, piano, keyboard, drums, bass, lead singer, 2 doowop girls (of which I am one), and until quite recently, a violin. We play an interesting mix of music - meaningful - worshipful -joyful - authentic. As we were singing this morning, I looked out on the congregants - people of all ages, from all walks of life, and felt happiness. Happiness in the way the sun was streaming through the windows, Happiness in the juxtaposition of the green leaves against the blue sky, Happiness in the harmony - the harmony of the music, the harmony of the hearts - joined, if only for a moment, in praise and love. It was a feeling so palpable, so vibrant - so unexpected. I have sung that particular song so many times before, but today was a time like no other. Harmony, like happiness - seems to be an elusive thing, in this day and age...it is a good and worthy thing, to seek it out, but it is a gift when it comes upon you unannounced...I am grateful that I recognized it, in the busyness of the day....a day like any other, but one made luminous by those few moments of harmony. When my youngest daughter was 2, she had a little chant - "Sing your Song, Sing your Song......" Over and over again, going up by thirds with each line. (What can I say, the girl has a good ear for pitch...). I've been thinking about her little ditty tonight....wondering if the particular song this morning was the trigger....or if any song would have brought the happiness...the harmony....I have come to the conclusion that we must have all, in that one instant, been "singing our song"...the one from our hearts...the one dedicated to the giver of harmony......

2 comments:

  1. Kelley you write beautifully! I feel the happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the music in the early service. All of you, make all of us fill our hearts with harmony and love.

    ReplyDelete