Wednesday, July 13, 2016

You may call me Jasper.

   We have this cat - Jasper. He is HUGE. Part Maine Coon, Part everything else. A gorgeous Gun Metal Grey/Silver - regal and sometimes aloof,  he is a much loved member of our family. Crack House Puppy is his best friend. They sleep together, eat together, go outside together and play together. Sometimes, as you might imagine with a cinderblock of a dog and a behemoth of a feline, the play gets rather physical.....house shaking......fur flying physical. When Jasper has had enough, he will run into the den, and with one graceful leap, he will scale the antique china cabinet and land smoothly on top. He will then shake himself out, stretch and ever so gracefully recline - paws and head hanging just slightly over the edge, as to allow a better view of his kingdom. He  removes himself from the chaos and seeks out a perch where, in solitude, he might view the situation with a different, higher perspective. That is one smart cat. I have often wondered what thoughts he thinks, while taking his break - gazing down at where he has been...is he formulating strategy for the next game of chase? Pondering new and adventurous hiding places from where he might pounce on the unsuspecting bestie? Plotting innovative moves that will allow him to swipe even more food than usual from the counter when my head is turned?
    After more than 11 years in Children's Ministry, this summer I have been gifted with 6 weeks to "pull a Jasper". A time to find a perch, and a new perspective. A time of rest, study and renewal. A Sabbatical.
    I am on day 11. For the first 7 days, I was virtually catatonic. I truly had no inkling of the toll the last year had taken on me. I was exhausted, anxious, and stressed beyond what could possibly be healthy. I slept, cooked, ate, and then dragged myself back to bed......that would be about it. Then, on day 8 as I poured my first cup of coffee I realized I felt like myself for the first time in a very long time. Day 9 saw the return of my creative zest, and I have been making art and jewelry nonstop. I have also been reading in the last several days - something I have been unable to make myself do in the last year or so, but something I dearly love. I have been reading a book on Celtic Sprituality, I have been reading the writings of The Mystics...I have been ruminating on Pelagius and Augustine and how different were their views of the Christian Life   ( I am leaning towards Pelagius, if you were wondering)....I have read a tremendous novel, bought at our new local book shop....
   I am starting to pack. As part of my Sabbatical, I am going on a Silent Retreat....alone.....in silence. Long a dream of mine, it is just days away. A week of me - the ocean and the wind - my thoughts - my prayers - too many books and art supplies.... There will be  walking meditation and writing. There will probably be tears....and silence. Blessed Silence. I will unpack my life, and contemplate the best way to repack it. Like the cat, I will remove myself from the chaos. I will use this time as a perfect perch for perspective......You may call me Jasper.

No comments:

Post a Comment