Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A little Less than Zen....

I am feeling a little less than Zen. As I sit here with a large Sonic coke in one hand, and some Hersheys Chocolate drops in the other, my daily Thankful Thing for the Month of Gratitude is somewhat elusive. I've put it off for most of the day, but I am now firmly ensconced in the den, laptop open and CNN blaring. (Every now and then, because my blood pressure isn't high enough, I switch over to Fox News - I switch back right quick, because I don't want to do permanent damage to my health... aww c'mon and laugh - you KNOW that was funny.) The wafting aroma from the lasagna in the crock pot is doing little to dispel my anxiety.(And for all you food purists, don't be hating on my Crock Pot Lasagna....it is SO good - and SO easy!) It is election day, and the polls will soon begin to close. I could just give it a quick "I'm thankful that I live in a country that allows us the freedom to cast our vote as we will...", and I am - I truly am. But I have rather strong feelings about one of the candidates - and I'm not talking about the warm fuzzy kind. So to calm myself, I am trying to remember what a friend said  yesterday. She has spent a fair amount of time living abroad, and said with admirable passion, "It doesn't matter who wins or looses - we will still be living in the best place on Earth. There is not a person in any part of the globe that doesn't want what we have here." And I know, deep in my heart that she is right. Even with the divisive political polarities, The women's rights issues (Which are so very important to me...I have daughters, for Pete's sake!), Health Care, Economic woes....I have only to look a few feet around me to know that no matter which candidate wins this Presidential election, being in the "Bottom 47%", still puts me in the top 5 % when viewed with a worldwide lens. I have a TV bringing me all this angst producing news coverage (AND a laptop, should I desire to switch over to the pony express known as FaceBook), a blanket on my lap (and a thermostat on the wall, should I break down and turn it on), Lamps of every shape and size, a daughter sitting beside me, working on her Geometry - which she is learning in her Public School, Food in both Fridge and Pantry, Appliances of every description, Furnishings, Art, Cars in the drive, Beds, Bathrooms, Coats, Shoes....Practical things, beautiful things.....all belonging to just one family. We live in a place where we can overthrow the Government every four years, if we so choose - and we do it without bloodshed (Although, there have been times in the last month when I wasn't so certain that I would be able to contain myself....!). So today, I give thanks - in this month of Gratitude - that I live in the greatest place on Earth..far from perfect though it may be. I am thankful for Sonic Cokes and good Chocolate, for hot Lasagna, blankets and a warm Crackhouse Puppy on my feet....for CNN, NBC, and even for Fox News....for candidates I support and candidates that I don't - and perhaps most of all, I am thankful  that it is my Daughter that has the Geometry homework, and not me!

No comments:

Post a Comment