Monday, November 5, 2012

Daddy.....

My Father wanted to be an actor. He was even offered a scholarship to study at the then prestigious Pasadena Playhouse after High School. My Grandmother put the big Kabosh on that, and my Father dutifully set about fulfilling his Mothers wish that he become a Minister. Not that my Dad didn't have the calling - I feel certain that he did, for he was a tender Minister, and a powerful Preacher. But he had a talent that couldn't be denied - that undefinable "certain something" - a charisma that made him perfect for the stage. He could sing like an angel, and was handsome too - he could have been a movie star...He also had quite the sense of humor, and a reputation for spirited hijinks. Dad would have been tickled pink to know that when we took College Boy on a tour of  his Alma Matter, College Boy became somewhat of an instant celebrity the minute it became known that he was the Grandson of "The guy who put the cow in the Bell Tower, and tied the bell to it's collar...." We were even approached by the Dean of Students at lunch, and begged to recount the tale - mind you, this Bell Tower incident occurred in the 1930's, which would officially make my Dad a legend! If my Mother was not in the room, you could get my Dad to admit that his service in the Philippines during the war as an Army Chaplain, was the time of his life. He was a member of the elite U.S. Army choir, and performed all over the world - including a private concert for Dwight D. Eisenhower. After the war, he Pastored the First Baptist Church in Mineral Wells, Texas, where he went with his good friend, a man named Bill Pawley, to buy an engagement ring for his girl....who was his girl? Elizabeth Taylor, that's who!
  My Dad was that rarity among men - he had a gift for nurture, and became a wonderful caregiver for my Mom when she fell ill. Due to the high medical bills, Dad never had two nickels to rub together, but he was rich in friends, and he never met a stranger. He was truly ahead of his time, for he cared not for race or creed - people of all colors and religions - educated and illiterate knew that my Dad saw them as they were....God's children, all. He couldn't abide the sanctimonious, the self righteous, and the "uppity."He smelled like Cigars,Halls cough drops, and English Leather - a smell I loved more than any other - a smell more comforting than any other. He loved Children, and one of the greatest sorrows of my life is that he didn't live to see my babies. For a Preacher, he could be mighty irreverent, and he loved a good "colorful" joke, and told a great story. His beautiful eyes crinkled when he smiled, and his laughter still rings in my ears. He taught me how to iron a man's shirt, and put a crease in a pair of trousers that even the dry cleaners would envy. He bought me my first legal beer, and became my best friend. He brokered the reconciliation of my Husband and my future Father In Law, and when I faltered at the back of the Church, changing my mind about walking down the aisle he said lovingly, "If You don't marry that boy, YOU go and HE stays"....tough love at it's best! He was solid and dependable - his word was his bond, and I would give anything to see him shake his head at me in that way he had...one that spoke volumes of his Love and pride....would give anything to hear him call me his "baby doll".....would give anything to hold his hand, to hear him sing, to hear one of his stories....I am Thankful that the old adage proved true....that Children learn by example - because I could not have had a better example of how to live a life, than that set by my Father.He faced adversity with a smile, and life with enthusiasm. I am grateful that his blood flows in my veins - that his laughter lives in my soul, and that his life guides my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment