Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A Possibilitarian...

The girls are wanting a bathroom re-do. They figure since College Boy lives elsewhere now, they are due a girlie bathroom for the first time in their lives, and I tend to agree. Shabby Chic is the desired theme, and we have been planning for weeks. Since we are working on a shoestring budget (and by shoestring, I mean non-existent), we are scavenging in closets, and storage bins, and trying to think outside the box. They have agreed on a yet to be purchased Shower Curtain (very shabby, very chic) at that bastion of French good taste.....Target. (Come on now, say it with me using your best French accent - it's fun, I promise). The girls found a really cool, somewhat sophisticated fabric at our local yard goods outlet in the $1.00 bin, and I will use that to make a new curtain for the window. An old Cottage-y style shelf  purchased at a yard sale, and some pottery and lace, and we are mostly good to go - still looking for an old bird-cage and a few nik-naks, but other than that, we've just about gathered all we need. (I am still longing for the lamp we saw the other day in an antique store made out of an old blue mason jar...I may have to break bad and spend the $15.00, because it would be fabulous on their vanity). Today after school, we were looking for some inspiration for artwork for the walls, so we googled one of our favorite boutique artists - Kelly Rae Roberts. Her art is whimsical - part Victorian, part new age-y feel good stuff, part edgy, and just the thing to give us some ideas for a project. As we scrolled down Google images, my eye was snagged by a print that said "I am a Possibilitarian". Babiest girl and I said "I LOVE that", at just the same time. The more I thought about it, the more I decided that I was indeed a Possibilitarian, and that became my Thankful Thing for today. I can see the possibilities in most everything. An old beat up house with nasty carpet and hideous wallpaper, a piece of discarded furniture on the side of the street,a carport, a broken necklace, a stained tee shirt....these are things that can be fluffed and buffed, repainted, restrung or tie dyed.....and more often than not, I can also see the possibilities in situations that might be bad, or scary, or sad. It is, I think, a trait inherited from my Father, who was a Possibilitarian thru and thru. It is this very thing that has pulled me through more times than I can count. I am thankful that I can look past the tired, the beat up, the ugly, the old, the scary and see the possibility. And now, it's back upstairs for me - I need to finish putting the clothes in my "new" dresser - bought at a yard sale(Way past it's prime), sanded and restained - beautiful detail and classic lines brought back to life, with a pinch of elbow grease and a dash of possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment