Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A Rare Occurrence....

It's a good thing that I don't get in a mood like this very often! I guess that can be my Thankful Thing for today...."I am thankful that it is a rare occurrence to find myself in such a dark mood" - there, I said it. The problem is, I'm not quite sure what caused it...I mean, I should be pretty jolly. My candidate won, I get to see College Boy in two days time, my kitchen is clean....all good things. But I am in such a foul mood that I can hardly stand myself, and as I have snapped at each member of my household at least once, I'm sure they feel the same. Maybe it is because, as my friend Dasch says, Mercury is in Retrograde. Maybe it is because I got a woefully limited amount of sleep last night, or maybe it has something to do with the flashes of hatred I have seen today - all bandied about in the name of being " the only true Christians". My favorite quote of the day, found on a page that a FaceBook friend had commented on (it appeared on the right hand scrolly down thingy and I should have KNOWN better - I should NOT have clicked on it....when WILL I learn?) came at the end of a particularly long, rambling and poorly written comment - where the writer extolled her many virtues, which of course allowed her to fully know the will of God. She closed by saying, "Well, it's time to load up on Ammo and Faith...." It's actually a clever little tag...in it's own repulsive way. And there have been other jabs....all day long - each one taking a little bite out of my serenity, pushing every one of my buttons, and taking a jackhammer to my last nerve. And the saddest thing is, with all of this sanctimonious posturing, I did not read one comment that questioned the obscene amount of money spent on the campaigns... plural.... meaning on both sides. Not one comment that derided the Pacs for their fear based advertising, that only fueled the absurd claims made in the days leading up to the election, and on this, the day after. I despair, not for our country tonight, but for her citizens...For the absolutism that has permeated such a large segment of our population...on both sides. I feel discouraged - how do I balance this out for my Children? Help them to reject the sting of those who would have them feel damned for wanting civil equality for all people. How do I remind them that no single group has dibs on being the only one in the right....there is no Monopoly on God among people of faith, as I see it...as I want THEM to see it. I TOLD you I was in a dark place. The best thing to come out of this day? Bedtime, which is.....right about now. I hope to wake up refreshed and renewed, so that I can get about the business of plugging along....and maybe, just maybe, my Thankful Thing for tomorrow will be that I will not allow myself to read or write another Political rant..........nah.

1 comment:

  1. I called my mother yesterday, who is now barely speaking to me as I cast the one ballot that apparently elected Obama, and will now singlehandedly bring destruction to civilization as we know it. She sent me a quote from Kruschev via email today and told me she grieved for my children. Yeah, I understand your frustration.

    ReplyDelete